The building was designed in 1889, two years after the establishment of the town of Boksburg, by Sytze Wierda, the “Governements Ingenieur en Architect” of the South African Republic. 

The corner stone was laid on 15th October 1890,  by the Head of Mining, General S.J. Joubert.

From 1901 to 1958 it served as the Magistrate’s Court for Boksburg.

The building was declared a National Monument in the Government Gazette of 22nd March 1963. — at The Old Magistates’ Court, Church Street, Boksburg.